ST & SC CELL
VISION :To oversees the effective implementation of policies and programmes for the needy groups and to act as source of strength by providing Psychological and monetary assistance in order to achieve equality and social justice.
- To improve the performance, provide guidelines and counseling with respect to Academic, financial, social and other matters to needy groups.
- To extend all the services to needy groups and look after welfare of these communities.
- To provide opportunity and facilitation to the deprived groups for learning and creating space for them to mainstream themselves.
According to the 1998 UGC Guidelines for the establishment of Special Cell for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, for the universities and deemed to be universities, the purpose of these Cells is to help the universities in implementing the reservation policy with regard to the admission of students and the recruitment of teaching and non-teaching staff at various levels. Its function is also to help the SC/ST categories to integrate with the mainstream of the university community and to remove difficulties, which they may be experiencing.
UGC GUIDELINES FOR THE SPECIAL CELL SC/ST
The SC/ST Standing Committee ensures the effective implementation of the policies and programmes of the Government of India, UGC and State Governments with regard to backward castes, classes and physically challenged. It also suggests measures for achieving the objectives laid down by the various government agencies. The Committee meets at least two times in a year and the decisions arrived at is mandatory to be implemented. The Committee functions under the Chairmanship of the Director.
ESTABLISHMENT OF SC/ST
Rajiv Gandhi institute of management science, Kakinada, had set up a special cell in August 2015 to assist the students from Scheduled Cast (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) communities in improving their academic performance and in optimizing their development in their personal and social life at the University/Affiliate Colleges as per the guidelines of UGC/AICTE for strict implementation of reservation policy in University and its Affiliated Colleges.
The main objectives of the SC/ST CELL are as follows:
- To implement the reservation policy for SCs/STs in the College.
- To collect data regarding the implementation of policies in respect of admissions.
- To implement, monitor and evaluate continuously the reservation policy in the university/Affiliate Colleges and plan measures for effective implementation of the policy and programme of the Government and UGC.
- To guide the SC/ST students of the college, to optimally utilize the benefits of the schemes offered by the State Government, Government of India (GOI) and UGC.
FUNCTIONS OF SC/ST CELL
- To circulate State Government and University Grants Commission’s decision and to collect regularly, on an annual basis, information regarding course-wise admissions to candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes in the college for different courses, in forms prescribed by a stipulated date and to take follow up action, where required.
- To circulate State Government and University Grants Commission’s decisions and to collect information in respect of appointment, promotion, training of these communities in teaching and non teaching posts in the Universities and Affiliated Colleges, in suitable forms by a stipulated date and take follow up action where required.
- To analyze the information collected above and prepare reports and digests for onward transmission to the Ministry of Human Resource Development/University Grants Commission and such other authorities as may be required.
- To monitor the working of the remedial coaching scheme, if approved in the affiliated colleges and university.
- To function as a Grievances Redressal Cell for the Grievances of SC/ST students to render them necessary help in solving their academic as well as administrative problems.
- To inspect the affiliated colleges of the university for furnishing the statistical information and implementation of the rule of reservation for SC/ST students admitted in various UG & PG Courses, appointment to the Teaching and Nonteaching posts and any other facilities providing to SC/STs & OBCs in the Colleges.
- To scrutinize and inspect the affiliated colleges the Liaison Officer has power to inspect personally to all the Affiliated Colleges regarding implementation of reservation in admissions for various courses, appointments and promotions of teaching and non teaching staff as per the govt. norms and prepare a final report and submit it to the University and to the Government.
LIAISON OFFICER (SC/ST & OBC CELL)
The Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes & OBC Cell was established at the University as per Government and UGC directions in the year 2014. The honorary position of the Liaison Officer is occupied by Mr. Koppolu Sashi Kiran, Associate Professor, MBA. The Liaison Officer, on behalf of the Cell, facilitates the overall welfare of the students, staff and faculty belonging to these communities. However, the responsibilities of the Liaison Officer are briefly given below
Responsibilities towards Students:
The Liaison Officer on behalf of the SC/ST & OBC Cell organizes pre-admission coaching programme for SC/ST & OBC candidates to help them prepare for Entrance Tests as well as Post-admission orientation programme for new students at the beginning of the academic session. Various coaching classes are conducted on life skills, personality development, writing and presentation skills and so on. Interactive sessions and informal meetings with students are also conducted to help them deal with personal, social and academic problems.
ADVISORY COMMITTEE OF SC/ST CELL
The SC/ST & BCM Cell Advisory Committee ensures the effective implementation of the policies and programmes of the Government of India, UGC, AICTE and State Governments with regard to SC/ST and other backward classes. It also suggests measures for achieving the objectives laid down by the various government agencies. The Committee meets at least two times in a year and the decisions arrived at is mandatory to be implemented. The Committee functions under the Chairmanship of the Hon’ble Director.
The SC/ST students can approach the Liaison Officer of the SC/ST Cell for redressed of any grievances regarding academic, administrative or social problems. The Liaison Officer will meet the concerned students, understand their problem and take necessary action and/or render them Necessary advice or help to resolve the matter.
FUNCTIONS OF SC/ST CELL
- Celebration of Dr.B.RAmbedkar birthday on 14thApril every year
- Monitor the sanctioning of scholarships through college office
- Act as the liaison officer between Social Welfare Department & Institution
- Counsel the SC/ST students for improving attitude & to build up necessary confidence for preparation, campus interviews, emotional intelligence at work etc,and some more activities which are required from time to time.
RIMS College has SC / ST Cell, established in the month of November 2014 as per the UGC guidelines. The cell processes and provides assistance to the SC, ST, OBC, PWD and Minority students from andhra pradesh state to get scholarships as per the Govt. rules. The cell also observes the reservation policy pursued by the academic department with regard to admissions through ICET.